Valentine's Day Crafts

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Antique Fair

My city has an Antique Fair every third Sunday of the month. It is a treasure trove. Gorgeous fabric.

Colourful beads.

Iconic art.

Glass bottles.


It is one of the things I love about living here; access to such beautiful things. Not quite the bounty you get when you live close to nature but a substitute if you cant. When I go, I have to exercise great self control. I want to buy EVERYTHING! I get particularly excited with all the shabby chic things; the distressed white furniture, the flowery fabric, the crystal chandeliers. I drool and froth and fawn. A Good Man loves the old tools, especially the ancient woodworking equipment. K's favorite are the glass and china figurines; cats, dogs, horses. She has collected quite a few and treasures them, playing very gently with them. They sit together on her 'special things' shelf. T loves the cars although it is a bit of a nightmare keeping him from touching the more antique, fragile ones. We know we have about an hour and a half before the wheels fall off and he becomes unstopable. Probably a good thing as this time limit helps to keep me in check.
It helps if I go with a list, a few things I am really looking for. Plus $2o to spend on something special. This Sunday we were looking for a cast iron, or teak, outdoor couch (to replace the one our resident skunk got) and a small tin wheel barrow for T. Instead, we came home with a gorgeous copper water jug, three cashmere sweaters and a lovely apron... OK, I'll admit, all for me and a little over $20, but not by much, really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the copper water jug. Copper has such a warm glowing quality to it. And it looks so unique when it patinas. It looks like you had a good time, and found some treasures!

Sarah said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. It is fun to see yours. That antique fair looks amazing!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Etsy Shop