We are avid Garage Salers... Saturday is Garage Sale day. We wake up, have our coffee/bottle/hot chocolate in bed, get dressed and all pile into A Good Man's truck as the first rays of the sun are beginning to warm the world. Our first port of call is Starbucks for my Chai Late (extra pump of Chai, no foam, extra hot!), A Good Man's vanilla Late (straight up... nothing surprising there), two warm milks, two bagels and cream cheese and off we set, eating our breakfast on the run. We tell K to 'keep her eyes peeled for signs' and T to 'find junk for our trunk.' A big neon-yellow sign on a lamp post is met with shrieks and hollers and I-saw-it-firsts. We all enjoy garage sales immensely; the excitement of spotting one, the anticipation of what treasures we will find. Most of our most precious possessions come from garage sales.
Yesterday was very interesting in what we found...
A Good Man found stain glass sash windows, 6 of them, for $2 each. They are beautiful and will fit perfectly in the conservatory he will one day build.
T found a couple of balls to add to his collection of about 1000!
K found a very long pine cone that she wants make into a feeder to hang next to her humming birds nest.
And I found these gardening books. The first is an absolute treasure. The illustrations are too gorgeous for words and I can't believe, in my wildest dreams, that someone would let it out of their lives, let alone for a dollar!
10 comments:
The Janet Marsh book looks lovely and my library has a copy. I can't wait to get it from the library. See now, the person who let this into the world gave it to more than one. A great reason for blogging.
It sounds like you had some good finds. :) Nature's Diary is absolutely gorgeous.
I can't wait for garage sale season--the big opening weekend isn't until Memorial Day weekend for us. Love those books!
That is really nice. I'm almost afraid to shop as I seem to have so much "stuff". And I'm terrible at getting rid of them... I probably need to learn how to hold a garage sale.
Oh, I'm envious over the Janet Marsh book. What a find! I love this Sturday tradition your family shares! My hubby won't go near a garage sale so we have to leave him home when we go. I usually take a sister with me though!
That book looks like a fabulous find! I love going to garage sales. It won't be long before it's warm enough here and I can start going again.
What lovely finds - that nature book in particular - and what a fun family tradition. We love going to car boot sales over here in UK and the charity shops have fantastic treasures to be found sometimes too. I found a gorgeous grain mill a few weeks ago. I should post a picture of it.
I also love garage saleing. Somebody elses cargo has much more character than something new. Unfortunately, in South Africa, the fortunates give all their unwanted things to the less fortunate so I have to wait until I visit America. The illustrations are beautiful. A small correction, the Morning Glory is Bindweed.
Meryl
My son and I are also avid garage salers. He is allowed a small bit of $ in his pocket but people always seem to give him things for free! We made the rounds this weekend and found some great treasures :)
Ah, garage saleing. A passion of mine, too. I can't wait for garage sale weather to be here!
The Nature Diary book is just lovely. It reminds me a little of 2 of my favorite books, Nature Notes of an Edwardian Lady and Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady.
Post a Comment