Valentine's Day Crafts

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Garage Sale Day.

Yesterday was Saturday... better known in our house as, Garage Sale Day! Gorgeous stuff was found once again. 

I love these pretty pillow cases...

But K loves them even more! She has adopted them for herself, not to use as pillowcases, but as... quilts... pillowcase sized quilts? She has given one to T (he doesn't really know what to make of it) and kept one for herself. She has declared them 'Favorite Huggies'. She carried hers around most of the day yesterday, even taking it to A Good Man's rugby game. She slept hugging it last night, beloved Puppy and Awwie neglected in the corner of her bed. I would feel a little worried as to the reason why she has formed such a strong attachment to this, um, pillowcase if I didn't know the reason. Fortunately I do... they smell like one of her favorite people in all the world... Tessa, T's Godmother. Tessa and her family are the closest we have to family in Southern California. Her three little girls are like cousins to K and T and, obviously, they smell really good!

This is a gorgeous wool poncho for me. It's perfect for this indecisive spring weather.

I am going to try to felt this woolen sweater. The embroidery also looks like it is wool and I am hoping like mad it shrinks at the same rate as the rest. If all goes to plan, it will make a lovely 'flower meadow' in the story blanket we are making.

This is an author I have been searching for... James Herriot. James Herriot is a vet in England and he writes delightful stories for children (and adults) from his everyday experiences with animals. If we were in England, our bookcase would abound with his charming books. The one we have in our bookcase is called, "Bonny's Big Day". The inscription reads,  "Dear K, on our way to the airport to come to you when you were born, we passed Dolly and Bonny in their field in Yorkshire. They sent their love. Love Granny and Grampa." And then in the top right hand corner reads a pencil scribbled "50 pence" This is delightful to both K and me and starts and ends each reading. The James Herriot we found yesterday is the only one I have ever seen at a Garage Sale. It is a compilation and I know many hours we will spend between it's pages.  

And now for my favorite find... He came from a funny little garage sale that we would have driven past if I weren't such a freak. From the road we could see that it wasn't a sale full of treasures. Rather, there were rusty old tools, a hanging rack with mens shirts a few plastic and cracked dishes. But I had 'my feeling' and A Good Man stopped to let me have a quick look... and this is what I found...
He is a little red elf. Where he comes from, who knows... the man at the garage sale didn't even know how he came about him. He said he'd been sitting at the back of a cupboard for many, many years. He was mine for $1 and the man looked a little sheepish that he was ripping me off at such a price! Little Red Elf now sits on the shelf in T's room, surveying all the excitement that happens around about him.

8 comments:

Joy said...

Wow, you have the most amazing garage sale finds!

Lisa said...

I especially love the little red elf....I have all kinds of little elves collected from various antique shops. I know he's worth more than $1...not sure how much, but he is a prized collectable. Lucky you. BTW, can't wait to see that story blanket!

Anonymous said...

You are a serious treasure-finder. I grew up reading James Herriot stories...the TV series is fun but doesn't come close to the charm of the books. That elf has a kind of 50's charm, very sweet!

Anonymous said...

Great finds! I can't wait for some nicer weather so I can do little garage saling. I was just thinking about All Creatures Great and Small the other day, I loved those books and I think my 11 year old will love them too.

dawn klinge said...

Oooh, your good! I'd love to tag along to some garage sales with you some day. :) I hope that sweater felts the way you want it to...I imagine it would make a great story blanket.

Adrienne said...

Oh my goodness, Saturday was our best garage sale day ever (I posted about it). In my post though I forgot to mention the adorable little green elf that I bought. I am POSITIVE that my green guy is a relative of your red guy. It's bedtime here but I will post a picture of him tomorrow!

Tammy said...

That book is so wonderful, we have checked it out from the library many, many times. :)

Cute elf!

Our Green Nest said...

What great finds! I LOVE that poncho so much! Your work is beautiful. Tu so much for visiting me :)...come back soon!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Etsy Shop