To make a Forest Fairy Crown, all you need is twine, leaves that have nice long stalks and happy children. It's an excellent task for hand/eye coordination and will require your child to concentrate on her task at hand.
Begin by cutting 3 pieces of twine, about an arm in length. Knot the three pieces together at one end, leaving about a finger's length on the loose end of the knot to tie later. Get your child to braid the three pieces of twine together. K found it easiest to hold the twine between her toes, positioning the knot between her big toe and her next toe, thus keeping the braid taught for her working fingers. She thought this was very clever indeed.
Try to put cheerios in your friend's ear.
Gently pull the braid apart, making holes through which you will thread the stalks of your leaves.
Thread the leaf stalk through one hole, and then the other. Pull the braid tight again, fastening the leaf into place.
I loved watching K's friend working peacefully. It was such a pretty setting and watching this little girl concentrating so diligently, was a real gift to me.
One last leaf to fix and her Forest Fairy Crown was complete.She looked like a little Oak Elf.
K added a few wild flowers to be the Forest Fairy Princess.

11 comments:
What beautiful woods and beautiul faeries.
I have an award for you over at my blog-
Cute crowns!
Would you think I was crazy if I said I wish you were my mama? :-)
You have so many great ideas, and you keep your children so busy making these beautiful things....except maybe the little boy, who is busy with his cheerios.
I have some jute string, and a beautiful little girl visiting tomorrow that would be perfect to try this with!
Thanks so much!
Now that is one cutin' patootin' Fairy crown my dear ;-) And I'll bet it was a blessing for you to see her working so hard!
Jamie :)
How wonderful! On our hike today, DS would run from side to side on the trail announcing that he'd spied a forest spirit. Would love him to have a special crown to wear during his happy forest dances :-)
The last picture is soooo sweet!
The willfulness in the hands of the children is evident, the pride evident in their faces. Thanks for sharing a lovely moment when nature and our children simply become one joyful being.
What a beautiful project! I appreciate what you mentioned about the childrens concentration on their creativity being a gift to you, I can relate to that so much. Your daughter is a very beautiful fairy princess of the forest!
I just found your blog, and had to comment about this activity. I am in charge of the children's activities at our Witches' Ball every Halloween, and finding things for all age groups can be daunting. These fairy crowns look like they will be suitable for all ages. I can even see some of the adults joining in on this one! Thank you so much for posting this. It will make a change from colouring pages and making rune sets yet again.
Post a Comment