It's a wonderfully warm, autumn afternoon. K has a friend over. They are playing in the garden. Magical, 5-year-old games. I am listening with one ear as I engage in 'purposeful work', needle felting in the living room while my little one, my teddy bear boy, sleeps peacefully for his afternoon nap. This is what I hear...
'OK!' There is excitement in Molly's voice. It's quiet for a moment.
'You gotta go slowly, Molly... like this...'
(I peek through the window at the two little girls on the lawn to see K creeping like a hunting cat)
'Like this, K?' Molly asks
(It amuses me that K is the expert in this situation... as if she has caught butterflies many times before, as if she is the Butterfly Catcher.)
'Yes.' K whispers back.
There's a big commotion of leaping and pouncing and then K yells :
'I've got one!' clearly, she is amazed!
'You did????' Molly is amazed too.
'I did!' Triumphant.
'Can I see? Let me see!' Molly is impatient.
'He's in my hands. If I let you see he'll fly away. Let me open it a crack... do you see?'
(I peek again) K is cupping her hands together and Molly is squinting through the littlest of cracks. Their aura is throbbing with excitement.
'Yes! K, I see him!' Molly is triumphant too.
'Let's get a container for him.' Molly suggests.
They rush inside, explaining to me, breathlessly, as they go that they 'really HAVE' caught a butterfly and are going into the kitchen to get a container to keep him in.
They select one and go out onto the deck for The Great Transfer... from cupped hands to container. Molly is holding the container and K so very carefully lets her magnificent treasure loose into the container. Molly slams the lid closed.
'He's in there!' They yell in utter delight.
'Oh Gosh, he is beautiful!' Molly exclaims.
'He is.' K agrees. A calm descends upon the enchanted pair.
'Let's let him go.' K decides.
Molly nodds.
K gently opens the lid. The butterfly escapes immediately, fluttering up and into K's face as he flies away.
'Did you see that?' K laughs in happiness... 'He gave me a butterfly kiss!'
* * *
I feel blessed at the magic of childhood!
8 comments:
Oh, my gosh. What a fabulous moment! I love when magic happens!!!
I love catching those moments! They really are precious!
Have a great week!
Lisa
Awesome story! I love listening to children talk to each other. I love the joy they shared in their moment, and I love that they let it go in the end! Oh, and I love butterfly kisses!
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for sharing that sweet story!
Wow! And shared so well with us. Thank you. You made my day.
-Phyllis
That's enchanting! Beth
Hello Donni
The making of a book for sure...
Have a wonderful day Donni
Warm regards
Suzanne
How sweet. Childhood is the most magical of times. And I'm so grateful to be hear to hear about it, see it and experience it through the lives of many beautiful children. :)
Post a Comment