Valentine's Day Crafts

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Name the Bird...

Now this is a bird after my own heart!

Can you guess what his name is?

Yes, he is a woodpecker, but what type of woodpecker?

I'll give you a clue...

YOU GOT IT!! He is an Acorn Woodpecker! Look at what he does!

He makes hundreds of little holes all over the tree trunk and then collects acorns to stick in the holes! Isn't he funny!
Look how hard he has worked...
A Good Man remarked that if I was a bird, I'd be an Acorn Woodpecker. So there you have it! What bird would you be?

Our Earth Day Giveaway ends on Earth Day, 22 April, please enter for your chance to win some really sweet goodies.

Blessings and magic.

18 comments:

Jessica said...

Love him! What a peculiar little method he has for collecting goodies!

Hmmmm, if I were a bird...I'll have to think on that one!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Thanks for posting this, seriously. That bird is amazing! If I were a bird I'd think I'd be a swan not because of any vanity on my part (ahem) but because they tend to like solitude and hang out with their mate a lot. Sort of like me.

Stephanie said...

he's a downy woodpecker.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

i missed that middle line. Downy's have crests - he looks just like them, though, other that that!

Linda said...

Awesome Donni!

Anne said...

Wow! Thanks for posting this :)
We don't get wood peckers in Australia.
I love seeing animals from over seas that we don't get here.
Does the wood pecker eat the acorns?
or it like to collect them.

We have Bower birds the male like collecting blue things( like my blue clothes pegs! LOL) to put around his bower to attract females Bower Birds

Stacy said...

I love Acorn Woodpeckers. There is a park close to my home with colonies of Acorn Woodpeckers and it is so interesting to watch them at work. Not to mention they are beautiful!

If I were a bird, I think I would be a Great Blue Heron :o)

Crescent Moon said...

I've never seen that kind of woodpecker before. That's really cool! We sometime see the big pileated woodpeckers here. When my son was younger, he thought they were small dragons.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've never seen acorns in holes like that! I wonder if they have to fight the squirrels for their acorns...?

We have some sort of woodpecker that's been hanging out in a tree right by our house lately, but I have yet to have my camera handy when he's around.

Lisa said...

I need to look him up to see if we have them in Ohio. Very cool.
lisa

dawn klinge said...

Oh wow! He has been busy! I've never heard of this type of bird before.

Ms Leaney said...

He's an artist! What a gorgeous bird! We have some beautiful birds here in Australia too. No acorn collectors but the beautiful bower bird collects everything blue. I would be a bower bird for sure!

Thanks for sharing. I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a fun and funny bird! Great photos and thanks for sharing this kooky little woodpecker!

Yarni Gras! said...

me? a hummingbird! I'm hyper and tend to flit from project to project. Also, I'm not a big foodies so I tend to drink my dinner. I'm talking water, tea and sodas here so don't go thinking any BAD ladies!

Unknown said...

You will be glad to know that in honour of Earth Day my little men & I went to find natures treasure this morning and made a beautiful picture out of all the bits and pieces we collected. You inspire us!

kate said...

that is AMAZING. never knew he existed! wonderful.

Unknown said...

oh he is a hoarder just like me! excellent.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Etsy Shop