Valentine's Day Crafts

Monday, August 10, 2009

Wonderful Beach Treasures.

It was an overcast and windy day and we needed to blow the cobwebs from our heads. There is a beach that we call 'The Peninsula' not far from us. We love this beach as the sea is rough and the waves bring treasures from the sea onto the beach for lucky searchers to find... this is where we found ourselves... on top of the sand dunes, looking out over the vast bay.
Searching the vastness on the sea
To our delight, the high-tide-mark was strewn with sea treasures.
Driftwood on the beachAnd we discovered that these sea treasures could be used to make all manner of things... Boats waiting patiently for the tide to take them out to see.
Boats made of driftwoodK took her nature journal to log all the 'especial' things we saw.
Nature JournalA small flock of Godwits patrolled the surf, looking for little delicacies in the sand. They were wonderful to watch as they poked their strong, long beaks down holes to find their breakfast. If you click on this photo, you will be able to see the sand still sticking to this fellows beak.
Godwit Sea BirdsA colander full of sea treasure was collected.
A Colander full of Sea Treasure.When we got home, it was diligently washed...
seashellsAnd lined up for inspection.
The shells...
The sea bricks, worn smooth by many, many years of attrition on the sea floor... we think they might have come from the ledgend city of Atlantis.
Colorful sea bricksDrift wood, rubbed smooth by the water and waves. Do you think one of these pieces of driftwood came from the raft Robinson Crusoe sailed on to find his island?
The attrition of DriftwoodAnd our favorite, Sea Glass. We would not have known of the value of these little sea gems if it were not for the wonderful Garden Mama who wrote about it in this post a few weeks ago.
Frosty sea glass

What treasures the sea gave us. Before we left her beach, we gazed out over her vast expanse and said a blessing of thanks and cast a wish into her depths that people everywhere would respect her bounty and protect her treasures.
Here is a story about another treasure nature gave us.

Blessings and magic.

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wonderful!
Looks so perfect. [sigh]

I'm in love with sea glass, too. :)

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

Weird, weird weather for August, no? It was downright chilly at T's swim lesson yesterday!

silverpebble said...

I think sea treasure the most precious kind. By far. Those little boats are exquisite. What a gorgeous post.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad you shared the link to 'Garden Mama,' what a lovely blog too! And your sea treasures are just lovely...so nice that you live so close to take quick family trips to the beach...ahhhh, a dream come true, tee hee.

Jamie :)

p.s. thanks for the link to 'Weir Dolls.' Is needle felting an easy project to pick and go with, like for traveling? I've been contemplating getting a book and teaching myself and those rocks you and the kiddos did are lovely. My girls would love it. Do you have a book to recommend or a starter kit?

p.s.s. I did decide to give the fairy and home to my oldest for her birthday...it's been hard to 'hide' her until October, teehee...but I know she'll love her!

Stacy said...

Your visit to the beach looks wonderful. I love all of the treasures that were found and the photo of the Godwit.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see your adventures at the Ocean!
And how lucky you found such beautiful sea glass!
After being on the island for a week and finding so much sea glass we thought ...wouldn't it be nice if sea glass was used for currency : )
I appreciate your blessing over the Ocean, I join you in these wishes!

themagiconions said...

Thank you for your kind comments, ladies. Sea glass is indeed a treasure. Garden Mama, we have a sand dollar that we found at a garage sale. My daughter went out to the printers tray this morning and asked it we could buy 'real' things with it... I said... 'yes, if you are a mermaid!' She loved that.
Jamie, needle felting really is something you can pick up quickly... The first thing I EVER made was in November last year. I'll ask my needle felting friends for the best 'basics' books.
Blessings and magic.

Tammy said...

Gorgeous beach treasures. Aaaahhh...I love the beach. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love sea treasures...my house would be full of them if I weren't careful :-)

I've always called the rounded, smooth bits of shell that you sometimes find "mermaid money."

Glass Beach by Ft. Bragg in No. Cal. is so fun!

Kelly said...

Oh the sea and all her treasures. How lucky you all were to enjoy time by the sea today. What lovely treasures you discovered. We have been intriqued by seaglass since gardenmama's beautiful post too! Now to get to the sea...

Beth said...

Dear Magic Onions,

I love the way you or your daughter lined up the sea treasures. A few years ago I did a drawing of little finds. It took a long, long time to draw. Perhaps I will go looking for it later tonight. Thanks for sharing your adventure, so beautiful in pictures and words.

Erin said...

What lovely beach finds! We're heading to the beach on Saturday, however, your post makes me when be there that much faster!

Lisa said...

Ahh, summer! And what a bounty! I love all the sea shells you found. We are waiting for the weather to warm up so we can head to the beach ourselves. You have a wonderful way with your children!
Lisa

Lisa said...

I wish we could find sea glass in Ohio!

Lisa :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Etsy Shop