Valentine's Day Crafts

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Blossoms for Birds.

We had a plum tree in the backyard. Alas, it did not do well. It was in a place where water pooled and we think it's roots became waterlogged. It died. K was very sad. In particular, she was sad that we would miss her beautiful blossoms this year. In an effort cheer her up, I found a spot in the side garden to put our plum's branches. We use her to hang things on as in here, put things in as in here.   

We have derived great pleasure this spring from watching the birds building their nests. They work so hard. From dusk till dawn. They are tireless. K remarked that she only sees them with sticks and twigs in their beaks and was worried that they were making uncomfortable nests as we have no sheep. That their little chicks would be poked and pricked in their 'sticky' nests and not nestled in cozy wool. This sparked a great idea. I had seen, once again on the wonderful blog Freeflowing Ways, how Kelly had put wool on a tree in Spring for the birds. I am always looking for ways to include K and T in my needle felting obsession, so this is what we did...

I took a deep breath (my wool is 'my precious...', as in Spiegel, Lord of the Rings). I opened my wool box and let K choose a little of any color she wanted. She looked at me with big eyes, disbelieving. 'For real?' she asked. 'For real!' I answered...
We took the beautiful colors she chose to the old plum and twisted little tufts around her tiny branches.
She started to look beautiful. 'Look!' K gasped... 'We've given her blossoms!' she smiled and danced in delight.
Please do notice that the HUGE pine cone K found at a garage sale on Saturday is also hanging from our beloved plum. I have to admit that I am utterly, totally, delighted that my child will choose, from all the plastic toys, a funny, odd, pine cone as her treasure.
So, not only does our plum have blossoms this spring but can you imagine what gorgeous, colorful nest our birds are going to make?

12 comments:

Joy said...

Even the plum looks gorgeous with all that wool waving from it's branches. I'm sure the birds will be grateful. :)

Erin said...

What a great way to decorate for spring as well as help the birds out a bit too!
Peace.

Lisa said...

What a beautiful idea! I understand how hard it can be to share the goodies....good mama!

Kelly said...

Gorgeous wool stash!!! I really love the delighted expression on your daughter's face! Priceless.

Tammy said...

What a good mama you are to share your beautiful roving. I hope all of the birds will use the wool and she'll be able to see bits of it in a nest later on.

I love that you did it "for real." I'm sure she knows her mama loves her and cares about her so much.

dongdong said...

I echo what Lisa said... what good mama. Love the colors.

dawn klinge said...

I love this...what a beautiful gesture on both your part, and your daughter's.

Kristen said...

What a wonderful thing to do! Those lucky birds and kids! :)

Anonymous said...

Very sweet idea. You will be able to see those little tufts of loveliness tucked into nests all over. And your daughter looks so delighted with your project.

Sarah said...

Ha. I should post a photo of my wool roving--it's a tangled disaster in a big tub. I plan to put out yarn/wool as well, but it's too early here.

Anne said...

I LOVE your wool stash..;)

The tree looks very pretty with the bits of colourful wool on it. There will be some very crafty nests in your neighbourhood.

Anonymous said...

I love your blossoms! Sifting through your blog, I can tell how much you love your little ones and how amazing of a mom you are! :) They are truely lucky to have someone so crafty! Thank you for stopping by my blog and I hope your rolls come out! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Etsy Shop