Valentine's Day Crafts

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Waldorf Story Scenes.

K has been making some wonderful scenes in her play lately. She has picked up some great scene-making techniques from her amazing waldorf teacher, Miss A.

Miss A sets up the most magical stories. She sits calmly with her basket and settles her story rug in front of her, smoothing the creases. She carefully takes an item from her basket and sets it gently in it's place on the rug. Then she takes out another item, then another, until the story rug is alive with the anticipation of what story is to come. All this while, the 5-year-olds have been sitting, transfixed. Not one of them has spoken, they have hardly even shifted as they watch eagerly for what will appear from the basket next. 

A few weeks ago, Miss A brought out a wooden bowl of stones from her basket. She picked up a handful, making sure to scrunch them together as she sprinkled them over her story rug. They made a soft tinkling sound as they landed. This experience must have struck a chord with K as she has taken to sprinkling her beloved shells over her play-scenes...
Another thing Miss A does to set her scene is to put a log or block under her story rug, making a hill. Here K has done the same...


I had to include this photo too as it is a gorgeous waldorf scene, complete with a shaggy tree and toadstool, a pine cone tree, a little painted house and...  is that a polly-pocket sleeping in the bed? Out damn polly pocket, OUT!
I love to listen as she plays. I find the conflicts her characters undergo quite raw sometimes... they fight over who is best friends with whom, they tell each other off angrily. But most of all I am heartened at how much 'love' features. They tell each other often how much they love one another. They hold hands, they hug, they kiss. It makes me happy that 'love' is such a strong emotion in our home and I am reminded to show my love for my darlings as often as I can. I tell K, 'I love you' and I literally see her swell with happiness. LOVE is such a powerful word.


8 comments:

Joy said...

That polly pocket cracked me up! I totally identify with those feelings of frustration in trying to keep the commercialized toys out yet watching webkinz creep into play alongside the beanbag frogs we made. :) K's story scene is glorious, and I wish, yet again, that we had a waldorf school near us.

Tammy said...

Lol on the polly pocket. ;)

It is such a delight to watch little girls play, isn't it? I had to click on each photo to look at the details (I just love details) and I noticed she'd carefully organized all the dishes. So very sweet...

dawn klinge said...

I laughed about the Polly Pocket as well. Thanks for being real. I've taken pictures of my kids play scenes before for my blog, and then had a strong urge to "fix" them by taking the non-Waldorfy elements out...as if there is some kind of Waldorf police that will come and chastise me for allowing those things in my home. ;)
Your daughter's teacher sounds wonderful.

Lisa said...

You are hilarious...polly pocket....cracked me up! I'm still laughing. I am so in love with your posts on a daily basis....once again this was a lovely one, even with the "damn polly pocket!" I'm guilty of taking out the non-waldorfy items as well, just removed a webkinz from a picture a few minutes ago. Thanks for being real.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the Waldorf police will be knocking on your door any moment now :-) That's just a perfect little dolly for that bed!

My daughter loves making scenes like this. We've got a lifetime supply of rocks and pinecones. If your daughter is safe with chokeable items, I recommend those little glass jewels they sell for fishtanks or flower vases...they are fabulous treasures for scenes!

Anne said...

It like my daughters play scenes. It's an eclectic mix of toys.
Slowly in the last couple of years she moving away from the plastic toys to more natural(cotton/wool/wooden/shells/seed pods)toys and making her own for her play scenes.

dongdong said...

my daughter played with those polly pockets her auntie gave her for a while too. Great scenery.

Kristen said...

How fun!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Etsy Shop