First, we collected bark and put it against a Yellowwood tree trunk to create a cozy lean-to for a gnome to use as a bedroom. It needed a bit of interior decorating, which K found in the form of cotton fluff and periwinkle flowers.
See how comfy a gnome would be in there, all nestled into the leafy carpet?
We were satisfied that it was well hidden and camouflaged... a passing troll or giant wouldn't even notice it under the clump of blue flowers! Do you see the snail-shell light-shade in the top left hand corner of the photo, fitted into the tree? K thought it best the gnomes have a light they could use if the fireflies didn't pitch for work one night.



We found an old brick that was perfect for a picnic bench. And two little stump stools.
A soup bowl was discovered under some leaves (the gnomes are having nut soup tonight) and was put in the center of the table. And, as we just knew it would be a girl and boy gnome who'd find this little house, we set the table with two small bowls and periwinkle forks.
Have you ever seen a periwinkle fork? Next time you pick a periwinkle flower (the flowers that are decorating the roof in the first photo) dissect it with your nail until you reach the stamen. Fairies and gnomes use periwinkle stamens for forks AND paint brushes. You can see the periwinkle fork in this photo... it is at the center bottom of the brick table.
Then, A Good Man and T helped us collect Yellowwood fruit to enclose our gnome home in a protective magic circle. We cast a spell that only good gnomes may enter it.
Imagine the little gnome couple walking along, holding hands. The girl gnome would sigh and say to the boy gnome... 'I'm so tired... wouldn't it be nice if we just found a cozy little home?!' The boy gnome would exclaim... 'LOOK!' as he pointed to the Yellowwood fruit circle. They would run to it in utter excitement and the little girl gnome would put her hands on her hips and declare, with a saucy little smile on her face... 'Aren't we just the luckiest gnomes in all of the Arboretum!'
You can read about our last gnome surprise is here.
6 comments:
How awesome! What fun!
Your blog is an absolute privilege to visit. I don't know if I say that often enough! :)
Great!
I don't think you need more background about gnomes, but this is a great books:
Gnomes by Rien Poortvliet. He is dutch and draw and explained the life and living of a gnome in such a wonderful way! My son loves to look at the book and have it explained to him.
Such a lovely home for a gnome!
That's so delightful!!
I'm so glad I have you blog in my life! I went in the backyard to do something similiar to this today but it is kinda a suburban backyard, so there wasn't all this neat stuff or maybe I just didn't look hard enough. When I visit my moms or to the Nature Center I'll have to do this. I used to build fairy houses when I was a little girl and of the top 3 things that bring a smile when I think about my childhood, this would be one of them.
Post a Comment