Valentine's Day Crafts

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A favourite Book.

My mom and dad visited my brother and his family in Australia last Christmas. They came across this charming book and sent it to K for her birthday. It's called 'Good Manners. A Book of Short Stories' by Audie Burns. It has the most enchanting illustrations. K gazes at the crazy drawings for ages, seeing something new each time. The colors, the mushrooms, the magic... she is utterly enthralled.

The stories are delightfully crazy... it's kind of like reading a dream!
The characters are whimsical, flashing through the pages with such imagination.
There are a few pages that make K laugh out loud... she'll be reading it in her room and I'll hear a gurgle of spontaneous laughter. This is one such page. She thinks these guys are VERY funny.
The funniest to me is that her favourite story is the beginning story about Miss Hanna Herrington and Miss Julia from Hartford. They have decided to take it upon themselves to teach the rules that 'good children should know'. It's all the old-school manners that would make my grandmother proud! K loves to hear all the things good children should know and tells me, very seriously, about all the times she has remembered to have good manners. This is our 'most read' page in the book... we often have to start with it and finish with it.
I love to have such a delightful way to impart good manners to her. 'Good Manners' is a treasure in our bookcase.

Blessings and magic.

19 comments:

Lisa said...

How cute! You share the neatest books D! Araina is oohing and ahhing over your etsy shop right now!
Lisa :)

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, Araina loves pumpkin mouse! He is the cutest!

Jessica said...

What a sweet book! :)

I've actually tired of all the contemporary, slickly-designed children's books littering many bookstores today. It's nice to see something different--something magical & filled with whimsy. Isn't that what childhood is all about?

Mama Rose said...

My goodness, what a sweet little book! The illustrations are absolutely enchanting.

Joy said...

What an adorable book!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marina said...

How Sweet! I think I'm going to have to try and find a copy for our own house... thank you so much for sharing that!

Erin said...

What an enchanting little book! I'm gonna have to poke around for it on the internet.

dawn klinge said...

What a sweet little book, and such a great way to teach good manners. :)

Jill said...

I really like these illustrations. They are so removed from the cartoony junk kids look at these days (though I'm sure not your kids).

Anonymous said...

What fun! I shall send my MIL off in search of it right away!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think this is a wonderful book with beautiful pictures!

Unknown said...

What a groovy little book!

Stacy said...

Love those illustrations-- I can see why K is enthralled! What a wonderful book.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maria said...

My daughter would like to send your daughter a letter... would you email me your address??
Thanks!!
Maria

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sunnymama said...

Fantastic illustrations!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely book...my girls are read-a-holic's too, tee hee!

Jamie :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

My Etsy Shop